Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Scholarships and Adulthood

Well, last week was kind of hard for me. My boss was out of town on vacation, so it was basically just me doing everything (answering phones, helping customers, etc.) which I am use to because he isn't in the office everyday, but it just seemed harder this last week then usual. I also found out last week that I was rejected for a scholarship I applied for for the Spring 09 semester. It wouldn't have been so difficult to take the news if it wasn't for what happened last year.

This scholarship is provided by a group known as PEO. They are women who raise money and provide funds for women to futher their education. My mom and sister are in one of the chapters in Utah. This is a nationwide organization with different chapters in each state. Anyway, I had applied last summer and come Thanksgiving I still had not heard anything. So, this lady named Arleen, who is in the chapter and also worked with my mom, checked up on it. She found out that they thought they sent a letter to me rejecting me and I never got a letter. She asked why I got rejected and they said that it was because I wasn't going to school during the Summer when I had applied.....well DUH! Not very many people go to school during the Summer. Plus, I was applying for the Fall semester at the time. So Arleen chewed their butts off and they ended up sending me 1,000 when I had applied for 2,000. I was ok with it because every cent helps, right? They told Arleen that would have 1,000 for me next time but I had to apply. So I applied during this last Spring for the Spring 09 semester thinking I already had this money. Well, I was wrong. They rejected me this time because I already received money last year. They said they sent a letter to the Chapter president and she was suppose to contact me, well she didn't!

So two years in a row I got rejected. And the only reason why I got the 1,000 the first time was because Arleen chewed them out. My mom told me to apply again and I said no because they did this to me two years in a row I don't want them to do it to me again. Plus I have enough saved for Fall 08 semester, I just needed it for Spring 09 semester...which by the way is my last semester! I think that's another reason why I took it so hard, because it was for my last semester. So I decided I will just save from each paycheck and hopefully I will have enough by the time January rolls around.

I think it's interesting that the world wants you to have a college education, yet they charge so freakin much to do it! Welcome to adulthood!

No comments: