Thursday, October 9, 2008

General Conference and Vacations

I am someone who usually misses some of General Conference, but I was so proud of myself this year. I only missed the first hour of the first session! It's not that I miss it on purpose, I just usually have something going on on Saturday's so I miss it. I usually always catch the Sunday sessions. I feel that I really needed this conference. Nothing really "stuck out" to me, but I got a lot of advice that I know will help me. I did enjoy President Monson's talk about living each day in the moment. We only live once and so we should enjoy it. Lately it has been hard for me to enjoy everyday. I just am in a slump right now, with work and with school. I just don't want to go. Of course I go because I have to, but I don't think I am that productive because I don't want to be there. I think what I really need is a vacation. The last vacation I had was last year during the Summer. I went to San Diego for a week with my friend Sandee. The last one before then I can't even remember. I have been at my work for almost five years now and I have only had one vacation. I just feel bad asking for time off. Not to mention I don't get paid for time off, so I am not that motivated to take it. I am saving to pay for my tuition next semester. I only work 72 hours/week instead of 80 because of school, so that's 8 hours a week I am not getting paid. You never realize how much those 8 hours affects your bills. Especially since I am saving for tuition, my money just seems to disappear. So I guess what I am saying is that I NEED the vacation, but I CAN'T take one. Sucks huh? Oh well, I guess I should just suck it up and take President Monson's advice and find the joy in every moment.

3 comments:

Staci said...

Hey Heather, how's it going? Sorry I am so slow with this blogging thing, I am still getting used to the new baby and we also moved to Vegas. It sounds like you are doing great (but you need a vacation) I can't believe you work almost 80 hours a week and go to school, that is unreal. How do you do it? You are awesome for paying for your own school. I will try to keep my blog more updated... I am a little slow! Talk to you soon.

Heather said...

Haha whoops...apparently I can't do math. I shouldn't have put 72 hours/week. I should have put 72 hours per paycheck, instead of 80 hours per paycheck. Haha sorry, that would mean I worked a lot if I worked 72 hours/week. I don't think I could do it! LOL

Staci said...

That's funny! Still, I think that's awesome that you work full time and go to school. Just working full time is very busy. You are awesome.